In an effort to increase my knowledge of social media I attended a workshop. Here is what I took away from it. Keep in mind that this is only my interpretation and I ask that you do your own research and draw your own conclusions. Increase your knowledge and please share with us in the comments section below.
We learn by participating and using social media. Trial and error is one way a lot of us are learning. Social media is an ever-changing art and science. Look at each word separately “social” and “media”. Don’t get too hung up on “media” but focus on “social” first. This means connecting with people such as your customers.
Communication should not be a one way street but a two way street. For example if you write a blog or make a Facebook post and someone writes a comment, you must reply and engage with that person. Start the discussion. Add value and keep the person engaged. Reach out to your customers often and with information that is useful for them. Social media is a hands-on business; it is about talking to and communicating with your customers regularly.
Today small business owners are very busy wearing multiple hats. Recently, I read an online article about small business owners. It emphasized that time is golden to small business owners. They are working longer days and more weekends. Taking on three to four roles is often a normal part of being a small business owner. The top two least favorite aspects of their work are accounting and sales.
Here are few time management and business enhancement ideas for small business owners:
- Combine communication tools and software
- Make a list of priorities DAILY. Work on the high priority tasks first.
- Utilize online tools, websites, and platforms to your advantage. Go to free workshops being offered at local libraries geared towards small business.
- Look in to getting resources and mentors with the U.S. Small Business Administration .
- Integrate useful mobile apps in your daily life. This may save time and money.
- Stay informed and up to date with social media news. One suggestion is to check out social media examiner.
In conclusion, social media is here to stay. Use it to start a two way communication with your customers. Inform them of your products and services and emphasize how you add value to their lives. If you are a small business owner, take steps to use social media and be productive with it.